Our first cycle of episodes will explore some local legends from York County, Pennsylvania beginning with Toad Road and the Seven Gates of Hell. In the first episode we talk a little about Toad Road and the Seven Gates, where they are, what they might be, and what they are not. We disprove some urban legends and head to Hex Hollow for discussions about powwow, witchcraft, ghosts, will-o-the-wisps, cryptid creatures, and the famous "hex murder".
If you would like to help us continue to make Strange Familiars, get bonus content, t-shirts, stickers, and more rewards, you can become a patron.
Episode 1 notes and links:
Much of the research for this episode was done for our first book, Beyond the Seventh Gate.
The Phillip Smith interview was done by Catherine Diehl.
Lon Strickler can be found at: Phantoms and Monsters.
Tara Vanflower: http://www.amazon.com/Tara-Vanflower/e/B007MMUS5Q
Jo Cosgrove: http://www.etsy.com/shop/barnaclebonesbooks
Strange Familiars is a production of Dark Holler Arts, LLC. Music, art, podcasts, books, and more. darkhollerarts.com
Intro and background music by Stone Breath - which is our band. You can find more at http://stonebreath.bandcamp.com
- Strange Familiars: Episode 32: Earthlights, Elf-Lights, and UFOs
- Strange Light Phenomena Follow-Up - Part 2: May 5, 2018
- Strange Light Phenomena Follow-Up - Part 1: April 28, 2018
- Strange Familiars: Episode 31: Wild Men of the Circus and Asylums
- Strange Familiars: Episode 30: La Dame Blanche – Ghostly Women in White