Velikovsky's "Worlds in Collision" was published in 1950. I had read it for the first time in 2012. I was intrigued, but what I wanted to know was, has anything in our current understanding of science and history been found that soundly defeats Velikovsky's work? It seemed like a massive undertaking. Enter Laird Scranton...
Just about the time I was asking these questions, Laird Scranton published The Velikovsky Heresies, and hey, guess what, it is a book that answers that very question about how the theory has held up. From interviews I have heard with Laird, he went into this book with no bias one way or another. He did the research, took the main parts of Velikovsky's theory and searched to find out whether they stand or fall. For the most part, the theory has been more vindicated than debunked. Of course, when dealing with events of the distant past, it is hard to ever know for certain, but Laird, step by step, takes apart Velikovsky's theory and shows the current science that seems to support it (for example, we now know that Venus seems to still have the remnants of what seems to be a comet's tail!). It is a brilliant piece of work by it's own right, and my only complaint would be that I managed to read through it in about a day. There is a lot packed into the 130+ pages that make up this book, however. No theory is ever completely right, and of course that very much applies to Velikovsky, but Laird shows how much of the theory has held up over the 62 years since it was first published. It is impressive. You can easily read Laird's book without ever reading World's in Collision. I would, however, recommend reading both to get a more complete understanding of a theory that one day may completely change the way we look at our own solar system and planetary origins.
- Seeking the Primordial with Laird Scranton - Part 2 of 2: Dec 30, 2017
- Seeking the Primordial with Laird Scranton - Part 1 of 2: Dec 23, 2017
- Laird Scranton on Skara Brae, the Dogon, Egypt, and more... - December 24, 2016
- Electric Universe 2015: Paths of Discovery
- John Anthony West and Laird Scranton on Ancient Cultures and Reality - April 28, 2015 (Mid-Week Podcast)
- John Anthony West and Laird Scranton on Ancient Cultures and Reality - April 28, 2015
- Laird Scranton on Point of Origin - March 21, 2015
- Point of Origin by Laird Scranton (2015)
- Laird Scranton on China's Cosmological Prehistory - September 27, 2014
- China's Cosmological Pre-History by Laird Scranton (2014)
- Wallace Thornhill on The Electric Universe - May 10, 2014
- Interview with Laird Scranton, Author of the Velikovsky Heresies - March 2, 2013
- Forgotten Civilization: The Role of Solar Outbursts in Our Past and Future by Robert Schoch (2012)
- Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovsky (1950)